Search This Blog

Following via Email


Saturday, April 18, 2015

I will not tell you what to eat! By Kimberly Evans

A little story. My dad is 84. In a nutshell, he grew up eating what others prepared for him. First his mom, then his wife. I don't think he gave much thought to food. But then, a tragedy happened in his family, when he lost his brother to a sudden death. At the same time our culture was starting to talk about food in different ways. At some point, my dad really starting looking at the connection to food and health. He had gotten to be pretty over weight, and wanted to fix that. He did Atkins. That took off the weight, and he felt amazing. Over the next several years, he played around with carbs. He noticed when he ate them, especially in the form of bread or sweets, he did not feel very good. BTW, I am over simplifying all of this, remember, nutshell. Anywho, long story short, he recently switched to zero (or almost) carbs. He feels even more amazing. He goes to the gym, his mind is sharp, doctors tell him he is healthy. It is working for him. I tell this story, not to convince people to eat this way, but to offer it up as something to think about.

 Luckily, someone recently challenged my dad on his food choice. Well, they did not actually challenge HIM, they challenged the eating style. Here is his response.
The comment was: "You need sugars for the brain."  His response was: "Yes, part of the brain requires glucose for fuel, but don't forget that your body will make glucose, and can make all you need. We "zero carbers" are familiar with how the Inuit, living in the lands of ice and snow, lived healthy lives in the face of nothing green around them year round. All they ate was animal flesh and organs, including marine life, and lots of healthy fats. And I put zero carbers in quotes because we can't completely go carb free. Even animal meat contains a bit of carbs. Our principal interest is in restricting what we eat to food from the animal kingdom.

I began this restrictive journey two months ago and don't look back. As my lovely daughter said, I'm healthy, no statins or blood pressure meds ever, no IBS or food allergies, no yeast infections, etc. Still have all my parts. Since leaving most carbs behind 15 years ago, I can't remember the last time I had a cold, so my immune system must be pretty healthy. This year, I've taken three rather serious tumbles that in many my age would have resulted in a broken bone or two. I got up and carried on. I just got home after riding my motorcycle a few miles. So, all's well and I want to keep it that way. 

That's why when we go out for dinner, I restrict what I eat to meat, preferably a good steak, with no appetizer, dessert or sides. Likewise, breakfast is just eggs and bacon, no toast or fries.

So I hope I've made it clear that this is not short term, it's a life style. And there are plenty of others on this eating pattern that are glad to tell the same story."


 Here is a blog post from someone who is a ZCer...
 Check out this amazing blog post by this very funny lady! 

My Facebook page:Perseverance - A guide to guilt free eating and mental wellness.

Clickity click click here, to purchase my book. Perseverance.



No comments: