Search This Blog

Following via Email


Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wait, what? You don't like Mother's Day?! By, Kimberly Evans.

Not liking Mother's Day, does not make me a bad mother.  It does not make me selfish, or hurtful, or rude.

    I am a mom, who does not like Mother's Day. At least, not in the traditional sense.

 I loved getting the gifts my little kids made in school, but once they became older, and it became an obligation, I lost interest.

In my young years as a mom,  I thought I "should" be pampered on Mother's Day. When my kids were babies, I often felt resentful, because I was still emotionally immature, and my focus was on the wrong thing.  I was often feeling let down by life. I felt that I was suppose to "not lift a finger", and that I should get flowers, and taken out, and etc...

 worldflowerss.blogspot.com

Then, I grew up. I have a different perspective now. I LOVE my kids, and I know they love me. I love my mom, and she loves me.



My husband is my husband, and he does not have to celebrate me as the mother of his kids. I know he loves me, and respects me, and values me, and I do the same for him.

Mother's Day, for this mom, should pass with no fanfare, unless my kids authentically want to do something to show appreciation. And if they don't, that does not mean they don't appreciate me. They show, and tell me that they do, everyday, in many ways.

If you are a mom who has lost a child, either before they were born, or after, I hope you can take this day to celebrate the child that is gone, only in flesh. I celebrate all of the children that passed - be they passed still in the womb, or any age where we would say "oh, they were so young." That could be age 60. I celebrate each life lost in the flesh, and each life still seen, this Mother's Day.  

   celebrate_love_large.gif

No comments: