Search This Blog

Following via Email


Sunday, July 19, 2015

Cheers! Raise your glass(es). By Kimberly Evans.

I know I am not the only one who wanted braces and glasses as a child. I even wanted crutches, and a back brace that I saw a friend wearing. I wanted anything that meant you were just a bit different. I sadly, or fortunately, depending on the age of this thought, only needed braces. I was so happy to need headgear. The kind that hooked to the back teeth, and a strap wrapped around the back of your head. I only wish the orthodontist had said I needed to wear it at school.
As I grew older, I never grew out of wanting glasses. I am the youngest child, and all of my siblings needed glasses by their 40's. When I went to my eye doctor at around the age of 35, he promised me that I too would need glasses when I got to be in my early 40's. He promised!!! 

My 41st birthday came and went, and I still had the eyes of a super hero. My 42nd birthday came and went, and  tiny print mocked me, with it's crystal clear images. My 43rd birthday came, and I started to notice an odd change. Before I mention that, I will ask you, how did you know it was starting to be time to need glasses? What was your first clue? One person I know said she was eating dinner one night, and she asked her mother if the food on her plate, was blurry too. My first clue, was that I could no longer see my nipples. I can't be the only one. Let's be honest here, nipples grow little hairs out of them. Maybe not everyone's, I really don't know, but I bet I am not the only one. Anyway, I used to be able to see my nipples to tweeze the hairs out. By 43, I needed one of those magnifying glasses. But, I could still read itty bitty things without having to hold them at arms length. By age 44, I started to believe that my kids might be purposely holding things they wanted me to read, right up to my eyeballs. 

Now, I am 45, and about 2 months ago, my husband pointed out that I needed glasses. Maybe because I have been so vocal about wanting them for so long, I did not want to get them too early, and have people think I was faking. I mean, I don't need them, need them. I can still bring things under bright light and wait for my eyes to adjust and read things just fine. Anyway, I did buy cheaters yesterday. And, it was a celebration for me, I won't lie. As I have gotten older, I know I have been blessed with good health, including vision, and I don't really want to need glasses, except, I just love them! 

Cheers! 



 

No comments: